Friday, March 21, 2008

It's time...

Alright, I have been in denial long enough, and I'm FINALLY ready to write about Ainsley's EXCITING birth. For those of you who don't like to hear about these stories, just scroll down to the cute pictures of the girls below.

Let me be the first to admit that I am a total wimp! I am not ashamed. I am all for modern medicine and getting an epidural when you have a baby. I think women who can do it without an epidural (by choice) are AMAZING, because LABOR HURTS!!!!!!!

Many of you know I was really nervous about delivering this new baby because I had some small complications with Cecily's birth, and I also had not heard many good things about having a baby here in Farmington. Looking back, I will NEVER have another baby here.

Thursday March 6th 1:14am: I had been having some mild contractions tonight, but nothing too painful or consistent, but I finally woke up realizing that I had been feeling them more strongly. I started timing them and they were 1-3 minutes apart. I nudged Derrick 20 minutes later and told him I was going to pack my bag just in case (yes, I am all about procrastinating)! 10 minutes later I told Derrick that we should probably go to the hospital, and to call someone to come stay with Cecily. By the way, we have the greatest friends here. So many people wanted to take Cecily when we went to the hospital. It sure is a comfort having good friends when you aren't surrounded by a ton of family. Luckily, Derrick's brother lives here, and his wife Ivy came right over when we called.

We got to the hospital just before 2:00am. By now, I wasn't doubting that I was in labor. I was ready for an epidural! This is when the "fun" starts!! The nurse brings us to our room and checks me out and says that before she can order the epidural, I would have to walk around for 45 minutes and she would check me again to make sure I was progressing. ARE YOU KIDDING? Does she realize that 45 minutes when you are having contractions every 2 minutes seems like a VERY LONG TIME? Well, I'm still in a good mood at this point, so Derrick and I start walking around. We called my mom, just because we like waking her up in the middle of the night and making her worry all night. :) But the contractions are getting really strong, so after 15 minutes of walking around, I decide I want to lay down. And the pain gets even better! Since I had planned on having an epidural by this point, I am freaking out. I have no idea how to breathe through the contractions, so I'm pretty much just holding my breath and thinking I'm going to die! And then I completely lose it and start absolutely bawling with the contractions. The nurse FINALLY comes in and asks me if I'm having more pain...(did she REALLY need to ask?) By this point it has been 40 minutes, and she says, "I can't check you again until it has been an hour since you came, so you've got 20 more minutes left." Um, since when is this the case?

So 20 minutes later the nurse finally comes back to check me. "Yes, you are progressing, so let's get you checked in and order your labs." HU? I'm not even checked in yet? So I ask her when I get to have an epidural. Apparently, we have to wait for the lab results...???!!!??!?!! (Okay, maybe I'm NOT ready to write about this because it is making me angry just thinking about it!) I tell her that I NEED an epidural, and she says that when she finishes what she's doing, she will start my IV and give me something to help me rest while I wait for the epidural. I have the impression that this will help ease the pain. Nope! It just knocks me out cold in between the contractions. So I am completely out of it, feel like I've been asleep for days, when in actuality I have been asleep for 2 minutes and get to wake up to excruciating pain! This is FUN. Oh, and I'm in a totally bad mood by this point. When Derrick came to comfort me, I was really rude and made him go sit in the corner. I think he was scared of me after that. But thank you, Derrick, for giving me a blessing even though I was being such a brat! That was a funny thing. I knew I was being such a brat, and I kept apologizing to everyone!

Anyway, a while later, I wake up to one of the fabulous contractions, and I'm thinking in my head, "Oh, crap! I'm going to poop all over the bed! I am so embarrassed, but I can't help it!" And I'm asleep again. I wake up 2 more times thinking this same thing, and the nurse finally says, "Oh! You're pushing, aren't you?"

CLICK! Wow, nurse, you are awesome.

And I am STILL asking for an epidural at this point. Why couldn't she just say, "Buck up, honey, you aren't getting one!" At least then I could have faced the inevitable without complaining so much!

So I am now pushing, and in my delirium (I hate whatever drug they put into my IV. It made me feel so stupid!) I realize, "Hey, I haven't seen a doctor yet." Yes, my doctor was out of town. It doesn't matter that he was one of the "on-call" doctors this night, he still felt okay to leave town. (Welcome to Farmington). And the other on-call doctor is in a c-section. It's probably a good thing that I was so heavily drugged, because I would have flipped out at this point.

So I'm pushing. I have to admit it is pretty cool to feel your body take over and push a baby out. I much preferred this to the plain old contractions! My water still hasn't broke by this point, but as soon as it does, Ainsley's head is out. She was blue because the cord was wrapped around her neck. The nurse told me to stop pushing, but honestly, I couldn't help it, and on that next contraction, I pushed the rest of that baby out at 6:23am, and it actually helped get the cord off of her neck. HOORAY!! I have never felt better than when that baby was out of me!

Now, I hope that all of my negativity above doesn't make you think I am such a brat! I would TOTALLY do it again for this precious little Ainsley (yes, it has taken me 2 weeks to get to the point where I can actually say that)! It was actually a great labor, a lot faster than Cecily's 12 hours, and no complications. And I did it without an epidural or a doctor!!! I would never do it that way by choice, but looking back it is pretty cool. I think that if I had gone in knowing that I wouldn't be getting an epidural, I would have been a lot more prepared for it.

This sweet little baby has been so much fun. My mom hit it on the head the other day when she said, "She has such a pleasant face!" She really does. I don't know how I got so lucky to have 2 very good babies. Cecily was such a good baby, I was really worried that Ainsley would be horrible. But she has been every bit as good as Cecily was! She just seems to be very content. The only time I hear her cry is if she is hungry, and she'll quiet right down as soon as you pick her up. (And I don't have a broken tail bone this time, so that has made recovery awesome!!) Yes, I am in love! So is Derrick. It has been so much fun to see him with Ainsley. He is a much more confident father now that he has done the infant thing once before. He has also been so cute with Cecily.

For the most part, Cecily is really good with Ainsley. She can be really sweet to her, although most of the time she just ignores her. She did say one day that she doesn't like Ainsley. But she has been saying she doesn't like a lot of things lately! She makes fun of Ainsley when she cries. She loves to tickle Ainsley.

Well, this post is forever long, so I'm going to stop writing. We are doing well, and adjusting to and loving having another member of our family. I'm so grateful that she is healthy and that Derrick was able to be at the delivery. We were worried about that since things have been so crazy at the restaurant. I think Heavenly Father really had a hand in making it all go smoothly. Now we just need to be good parents so we can teach these awesome little girls what they need to learn in this life!! On to the next task!

28 comments:

Johnson said...

Oh, Jen I am so sorry. I don't know how you did it. I have only felt contractions once and I wanted to die. I'd much rather do my c-sections. I can't imagine giving birth any other way!!! I am glad that you are starting to feel better. The nice thing about giving birth is that eventually we forget and for some reason want some more!!!

Ainsley is beautiful! She is just so sweet and pretty! Cecily will get used to her. It takes some time but I bet eventually she will just love her to death!!

Congrats! We are so happy for you and Derrick!!

Shar said...

I'm glad that everything is good now. You were NOT a happy camper at 9:00 a.m. after Ainsley was born. But I don't think anyone would be in those circumstances.

And Ainsley does have a pleasant face.

Tiffany said...

You are a trooper! I don't know if I would have survived. :) You have great bragging rights now though! Cute cute girls!!!

Megan B ♥ said...

Oh, Jen -- I'll confess that I got angry just READING about that experience! My jaw was totally hanging open! You're amazing! And she certainly does have a pleasant face :)

Dottie Stay said...

That sounds like a complete nightmare!! Deron was born in Farmington and his mom (not by choice) did n't get an epideral either and just about had him in the car. I wonder what is going on down there. Why don't nurses believe people and since when has the hour thing been a rule?

Anyway, I am so glad that you are feeling better, and you are such a trooper!! Cecily looks so cute, and I am so proud of her being such a great big sister. Ainsley is so beautiful. Congrats again! You aren Derrick are fantastic and the girls are lucky to have you!!

Anonymous said...

I got mad too! That is my fear - to plan on an epidural and not get one. The nurse was so lame!!! Well, way to be tough! And so very cute!!! She is so darling! Cecily looks so grown up! What cute girls!

Rachel said...

Such cute pictures! She is so sweet and I'm glad that she is such a good baby. Okay- so what was up with that nurse? I would be writing the hospital one LONG, ANGRY letter. What a horrible experience, but I am so proud of you for having her without an epidural. Now you can chalk yourself up as one of those amazing women you talked about!

Brooke said...

Oh Jen, I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience. I would've wrung that nurse's neck. I have never heard of such ridiculous "rules". Weird! And what doctor goes out of town when he's on-call? Strange, again. Well, at least you and Ainsley made it through and Derrick still likes you. Way to go!

KTLADY said...

Hi Jen, I think those who have had a baby here are just reading and nodding, "yep, that sounds typical!" I asked for an epidural too & they looked at me & said, "Why would you do that? You already made it to a seven without anything." So they wouldn't let me have it. They put Stadol in the IV that makes you LOOPY!! Oh but it still hurts bad, huh, you just don't care. My goodness...
I went in on Friday to see a friend who just had hers. So when they tried to break the water, it was gone.. When the baby came she had cuts all over her head where the doctor had poked her with the "water breaker" thing! Gotta love this place. I'm glad you surviced SJRMC! Hope to see you guys soon! We have park days with a group of girls if you'd like to join! I will let you know!!!

Devon said...

You have got to be kidding me! Knowing I was getting an epidural was the only thing that kept me sane, so I think you are a total trooper! And the girls are so cute together! What a fun baby. Hope you're getting more sleep...someday I might sleep through the night again (but I'm not getting my hopes up). I'm thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Jen, you are my hero! There is no way in heck that I would ever be able to go natural. I am sorry you had to experience that. Your baby is so beautiful!

Amy Morris said...

Oh Wow! I can't believe that! I was getting mad just reading about it (It probably doesn't help that Im in my third trimester right now)! I am literally in shock. Congrats! I am so sorry you had to go through what you did, but she's beautiful! Way to go!

Sharlynn said...

Wow amazing girl! Hands off to you. I am glad you made it through that crazy ordeal. I swear nurses need to listen more and take the advice of the lady in labor. WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT! Thanks for sharing your story. I always love to hear delivery stories. Your girls are beautiful. That means you need to keep on having them!

Sherian said...

All I can say is...YOU ARE THE WOMAN! seriously, props to you for enduring all of that. And I think you handled yourself amazingly well, I would have probably had my way with that nurse and I would have wanted her to feel what I was feeling!
Ainsley is such a beautiful baby! You two have adorable girls. Congrats again and good luck to you!

Karin said...

I love hearing about my friend's labor and delivery- but hope for more pleasant outcomes! Ahhh, reading this brings back some serious memories of my Elizabeth's birth nearly 3 years ago... (no epidural, no Doc, dropping off the older sibling in the middle of the night...)CoNgRaTs to YOU!!! You made it through! And eventually you'll want to do it again. It's a beautiful, crazy thing, huh? Ainsley is precious, I love all of the pictures!

Renee said...

Reading your story makes me hurt! Oh the joys of labor. I am beginning to thing that I am LUCKY to have planned c-sections! You are one tough woman. I love all the pictures. Your girls are darling and I love the name Ainsley!

jennie said...

um... suddenly I'm terrified to deliver again!!!

Good job on being so tough. I wouldn't have been. I also wouldn't have been very nice to the nurse. You are a saint... maybe a bratty saint, but a saint nonetheless!!!

Jen said...

My jaw is on the floor. I don't think I could ever handle labor with out an epidural. What were they thinking? Doesn't the patient have the right to choose? Oh, you poor thing. I am so proud of you. I know I wouldn't have been able to do it. Now I know that I won't even visit Farmington when I am pregnant!

Michelle Y said...

Jen, what a crazy experience, I'm so sorry, but so proud of you and glad it all worked out well. Ainsley is a beautiful baby, we are so happy for you guys! You are seriously an awesome mother.

Megan said...

WHAT? That is outrageous! You are one tough woman- good job you! She is beautiful- congrats! I'm so happy everything turned out ok!

crystal said...

What the HELL?!?!??? Oh, you poor thing. There are no words. My epidural didn't work correctly w/ Isabelle's birth, and it really did effect how I bonded with her and how I felt about the entire experience. So no, I do not think you are being a brat.

And that nurse! I am sitting here, simmering in rage on your behalf.

Jenee Zirker said...

Your a trooper just hearing about it makes me think twice about another baby. Ainsley is darling. You two make some cute kids. Congrats.

Annie said...

What the crap! As I was reading, I was getting angry FOR you. Honestly, what is up with people sometimes. I'm sorry you had such a ridiculous nurse. But I'm really glad you survived! I just looked through all the pictures, and Ainsley is just precious. I guess that makes up for everything else!

Tiffany said...

Jen, its Tiffany (shars friend)anyways congrats on your little girl! She is a doll. It was fun getting to know you while I was visiting. Heck, we have got to have a special bond now because we spent a wonderful Valentines Day dinner together...husband less... thanks again for the great dinner!

Sarah said...

CONGRATS! (And this is coimg for a woman who had 3 children with NO pain meds) You are amazing!

Oh, and by the way, I found your blog through Crystals blog. How are you?

Sarah said...

It's still "spring Meadows" Do you keep in touch with any neighbors? I can't believe how big cecil is. She is a little girl, not a todder. So CUTE!

Rebecs said...

I am so sorry! Just freshly off having a baby, I can honestly say I would have been a MUCH bigger brat than you. I cannot believe your nurse! Maybe it's a conspiracy down there in Farmington that the insurances give the nurses a little somethin' for saving them the epidural and doctor delivery costs. I mean this would be one thing if she would have come out too quick for an epidural, but how may HOURS are we talking??? And the drugs???? Well I guess it helps that she is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Congrats!

Juli said...

Jen, I told you so.

What a beautiful baby. I can't wait to see her. You rock.