Thursday, March 17, 2011

Oh, really?




Yes. The Tornow family IS still alive. I'm posting a few pictures from our recent trip to Disneyland.

I know I'm going to kick myself someday (okay, I already have been for months) for not recording the happenings of this last year better. The girls have grown so much and accomplished so many things that I have not documented. But to be honest, I've actually been struggling about whether or not I want to make this blog private.

I've mentioned before that the reason I blog is because it's my version of my journal. I really feel that it is important to keep a journal/personal history. I want myself and my children to be able to look back and remember joyous times as well as be reminded of lessons learned during times of struggle. I know that many of my blogging friends blog for the same reason.

However, I have found that I have a difficult time making my personal struggles public, and that kind of defeats one of my main reasons for having the blog, right? So I'm curious what my fellow beloved bloggers (and who knows if you even check my blog anymore since I update it so seldom!) think upon this subject.

Do you ever find it difficult to be completely "real" in your posts? Have you considered making your blog private? Those of you who have gone private, have you experienced many downsides for doing so?

Well, I am definitely leaning towards going private. But I probably won't make the decision right away. I do hope to get back into the swing of things and start posting again, though. (Maybe nobody will read those posts, and I won't need to go private)!

8 comments:

Jules said...

I actually have a private blog journal, that no one has access to except me. :) I don't want to make my family one private because I don't think my MIL could figure out how to log in to check it. :)

Sharlynn said...

I made my blog private and haven't really found any downsides expect inviting people. However I still find myself not being completely "real" even now. I have stopped writing in a journal and just use my blog. I think I would write more stuff but I don't want people to read and feel like they have to boost me up or something. I am not sure if I am really making my point or sense, but what I am trying to say is I hear ya. Good luck with making your decision. What ever it is too ya...I enjoy reading your blog and hearing how things are going. It is fun to kind feel like I am in touch with so many others and know what is happening in their lives.

meg said...

I love it when people are "real", because I can relate to them so much better. You might be afraid to blog about your personal struggles, but you will help so many people by doing so and you will be amazed at how people reach out to you! I check your blog all the time, don't stop, or if you go private just make sure you invite me! don't be afraid to share your struggles though. Nobody has a perfect life and those who try to portray that they do are missing out on some growing opportunites! I am so excited to go to lunch! luvya!

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

yay! a tornow post! I have been dreaming of reading one. I love when people are real and raw on blogs, makes reading the blog so much more authentic.
The only reason I havent gone private is the hassle of it but if you think it would improve your journaling then do it.

Shar said...

Jen! Wow, I'm shocked you updated your blog :) Sad we couldn't make it to Disneyland with you guys. It looks like you guys had a blast though! Next time.

Don't go private.

Leslie said...

Looks like you had so much fun at Disneyland! Your family is so cute : ) As for the blog question, I love it when people write exactly what they are feeling on their blogs - I usually relate! And remember that one time I stalked your entire blog??? haha - well I felt relieved to read that you had hard days as a Mom and having a husband be away so much was difficult as well. The only reason we made ours private is because I tracked who was looking at our blog and a bunch of random people in other countries were peeping in. Weird. It's up to you though. Hope you're doing well!!

Tiffany said...

Wow, you guys sure look nice for going to Disneyland. Cute pictures! Your girls are changing so much. It doesn't help that I see them every 2-4 years and your blog posts are 7 months or longer apart. :) haha I thought about the same issues of having a public blog and putting personal information on it. I stopped using my blog as a journal and basically use it as updates and pictures for friends and family. I almost stopped blogging because there weren't many comments, so I put a counter and am thinking about going private due to how many people are looking at my blog. You can always set up a separate private blog for personal thoughts and journal entries, but who wants to keep up 2 blogs. :) If you do go private, be sure to add me in! Miss you guys. Glad you had a good time in CA.

Devon said...

You know, I try to think of my blog as more of a family history/scrapbook, rather than a journal. So I still hint at struggles and things that I think will spark my memory later, but I don't go into great detail (you know me...it's usually me putting some trial as a joke and being sarcastic.) I figure I'll still be glad that I have a record, and it's all things that I'm not too embarassed to share. But whatever you do, I want an invite to your blog if you go private! I love seeing the cute things your girls are up to! ;)