Wednesday, July 18, 2007

OUR PRINCESS IS TWO!!!

Happy Birthday Cecily!!

I can't believe my little baby is two years old! (Yes, she STILL carries around that freaking purse!) She is getting so grown up! She's been such a good girl from the day she was born, and I am loving every phase she goes through! Who knew having your own kids was so much fun?
So, we had a little get-together at our home on Saturday night to celebrate Cecily's birthday. Her birthday was actually on Monday, but since Derrick was in town, as well as my sister Trish and her family, Saturday just worked. We also invited our friends Nate and Shar, and their little boy, and Cody and Gaby and their little girl and boy. We barbecued and had cake and ice cream for dessert. Now, many of you know, I am not exactly the "crafty, talented mommy" type. I would much rather waste too much money purchasing a good cake, than spend my time making a miserable one. However, I don't know if it is because my talented sister was in town inspiring me, or what, but I decided to make the birthday cake all by myself. So I went to Hobby Lobby (anyone ever been here? I love it!) and found a Cinderella cake pan. Cecily idolizes Cinderella, so I thought she'd love this. When I got home and showed Derrick, he bet me $100 that Cecily wouldn't say "Cinderella" when she saw the finished product. How's that for supportive husbands? :) Well, here is the finished product:




Personally, I think she turned out a little transvestite-ish, but better than I expected. Now, I have to admit, this is actually my SECOND attempt at the cake. I tried making my great-grandma's homemade chocolate cake, and it completely stuck to the pan because it was so moist. So it got broken up into pieces and made into an AWESOME trifle. I think most people preferred it over the cake! But luckily, I had a box cake mix in my pantry, and it worked much better, although I had to repair Cinderella's chest area. (I'm sure the modern-day Cinderella wouldn't mind a little boob job, right?) Anyway, so what was the verdict? Did I win my $100 bucks? Well, the birthday girl's response to the cake was this: "Yuk." (You have to imagine her saying this in a "You've got to be kidding me, I am WAY too good for this" kind of voice). Then she proceeds to poke two of her fingers in the cake, and repeat "Yuk." But when we asked her who it was, she did concede that it was, in fact, "Rella-rella." She would have nothing more to do with the cake, though. She didn't even eat a piece! And ever since the cake incident, I've been hearing her jibber-jabber something about "Rella-rella" and "Yuk." She cracks me up!


Thanks to Trish and her family for coming and visiting us! They were our first visitors here in NM, and I think they actually had fun! But they had gone camping in Moab on the way down, so it wasn't like Farmington was the highlight of their trip! We had a great time having them here, and hope they'll visit again!

I have to say, I am SO ready for the restaurant to open! This whole back and forth thing with Derrick spending most of the week in Utah is getting hard! We miss each other more and more every week. And I know that Cec really misses her dad. She loves when he asks to talk to her on the phone. She'll just blab and blab to him until he asks her to give the phone back to mom. I am so grateful for Cecily. She really helps the time pass a lot faster. I am so grateful for Derrick, too, who is working so hard to get this restaurant going. He is always so happy and fun. I just love him!

17 comments:

Shar said...

Thanks for updating the blog. I had no idea what you were up to! :) Well, I think you did a GREAT job on the cake. And who wouldn't love a boob job??? I know I wouldn't mind them put back where they used to be. I don't know anyone who would pass up frosting plastic surgery, especially Rella-Rella. And I love the pink car. So cute.

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures. You did a great job on the cake! I didn't realize that your husband was opening a resturant. What restaurant is it? My husband would love to do something like that. He has been wanting to do something on his own for years. We are getting closer and closer. I don't know if I could handle how busy it makes them. Hang in there though, I am sure it will all be worth it.

Jen Tornow said...

Sharlynn, Derrick is opening Costa Vida restaurants here in New Mexico. That's why we moved here. I'll let you know if it's worth it! (I'm pretty sure it is, as Derrick is really enjoying it so far!) Hey if your husband ever wants some good experience opening up restaurants, Derrick hopes to find a good general manager who will assist him in doing that!

Megan B said...

Happy birthday, Cecily!!

How long until the restaurant opens?

Dottie Stay said...

Jen, you are so funny!! I was laughing right our loud. The best part about reading someone's blog, is that you can hear the person say what you are reading! Love the chest fixing with Rella! I think that the cake looks fantastic!!! You should be so proud, and I hope Derrick paid up!! I am sorry that he is gone so much. That stinks! It will be worth it though I am sure. I am so impressed with you guys and moving and doing all of this kudos to you two! You are wonderful, and have an adorable little girl!

Rachel said...

Love the cake story! Two years go by so fast! I love and hate the two year old phase at the same time. When they are cute they are soooo cute, and when they are bad they are soooo bad! Luckily it sounds like she is mostly jut very cute. Happy Birthday!

Annie said...

I think the cake was great! Good luck with the restaurant opening. I'm sure it will be nice to have your husband home more. Hang in there!

Jen said...

I literally gasped when I saw the cake. Thats right-- gasped! I would never have been able to do that! You've inspired me... maybe some day I will try! I love the two year mark. They start developing their cute little personalities and finally can try to say what is going on in their little heads! (Also, love the shower curtain. I know, not what I should be focused on-- Celcily is cute too--but its great! How could I not notice!:))

Jen Tornow said...

Jen, I got the shower curtain on clearance from PotteryBarn.com. I love it too!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Cecily! You did an awesome job on the cake; way better than what I could have done. I love the little pink car Cecily is driving. So cute!

Johnson said...

Okay, I was laughing out loud and then when I heard Melinda was laughing out loud, I laughed again because I could hear her laughing!!!! I think you are very talented. I guarantee to my cake would not have even looked close to that. I would have just turned the cake into a blob!!!! I am glad that you guys had fun and I can't wait for things to move forward with costa vida. We went there yesterday for the first time and of course....loved it!!!!

Devon said...

What a great cake! But what is it with kids and birthday cake? Mine have never liked it either. In fact, the last birthday party that McKinley went to, she said to the kid's mom, "Excuse me, Nathan's Mom. I don't like your cake." Silcence of course ensued. I just about died! Luckily, the other mom just laughed, but I had to explain that McKinley is just not a cake person! The pictures are too cute of Cecily, too! I love seeing all your pics...and your shower curtain. :)

Jen Tornow said...

I just have to say "Thank you" to all of you who leave such nice comments on my blog. I was having a crappy day today, and it really helped to get your cute little comments. Love you all!

Shar said...

You're right. Topher is a major babe.

Shar said...

I hope that you have a great time in Utah. I really wish I was going with you. Really. Drive safe and I'll see you when you get back!

Layne & Kellie said...

Ok. So Happy Birthday Cecily... sorry so late. So you win my $100. That cake is fabulous!! You did an amazing job on the icing of it. Owen did eat my cake on his first birthday... not a bite. Oh well! Cecily is so cute. I love every stage too. Kids are even more fun when they are yours.

Nieldfam said...

I loved the cake! Great job I think that you might have gone into the wrong profession. Hey... I have a question? Where did you get the pics of Ces taken that have the white back ground on your page? I love it!!