Thursday, November 1, 2007

So Much to Post!

I have a ton of things I need to post about, but not a lot of time. So if you are interested in hearing about it all, just keep checking my blog these next couple of days, because I plan to write a few posts as I have the time.
So the biggest thing in our life right now has been the restaurant. We had our VIP night on Saturday, October 20th, and it went very well. We sent out invitations

to friends and family in the area, as well as people we felt would help get the word out such as dentists, doctors, city council members, newspaper people, etc. We had a great turnout, and can I just say (yet again) that I LOVE the people in Farmington? They are so supportive and just cool people! We have felt very fortunate to have many of our workers. They have really caught on, and get better each day. We opened our doors to several people who just happened to come by in the couple of days prior to VIP night, and they were able to get a free meal. This helped our workers train and practice making the different dishes. I have to admit it was fun to watch the people get to the register and realize that they didn't have to pay for their meal!


The restaurant really turned out looking beautiful. I don't know that these pictures really do it justice, but hopefully you can get the idea:


We officially opened for business on October 22nd. We totally blew away Costa Vida's record for first day and first week numbers. Derrick had made a goal of reaching a specific number, which if we are honest, we didn't think would be possible to reach. But guess what? We totally did it!! It was a real treat after all of the hard work Derrick and so many people have put into this project.

So now, we (and by that, I mean Derrick. He's the one doing all the work. Not me!) are trying to continue progressing so that all of the employees are up to speed and know their jobs. We have been particularly grateful to have Mike, our manager, on the team. Things seriously would not have gone as smoothly as they have, had we not had him around. I hope that we can continue to make it worthwhile for him to work with us, because we really want him to stay around! Costa Vida has been really great to work with as well. They have sent down a lot of people from corporate who helped with the opening and training our employees. We have been really glad that we went with this franchise.

I want Derrick to know how impressed I have been with him during this process. It has been so rewarding to me to see him enjoy this work. Although there have been MANY hangups and headaches, he has been so happy, and he has handled it all so well, without making me feel guilty that I'm at home doing the fun task of taking care of our darling girl. I am so glad he is supportive of my wish to be at home with Cecily, and that this is where he wants me to be. Cecily and I love him SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!! Thanks Daddy, and Good Job with the new restaurant!

15 comments:

Wendi said...

Congratulations! The restaurant looks great, and sounds like you are going to be very successful! Way to go.

And I can't remember where I got that cherry template. I came across it randomly somewhere, it was free, and it was the only one they had. Sorry I'm not more help.

Dottie Stay said...

Congrats!! That is awesome! I am so happy for you gus! I can't wait for more news to b posted on the blog! Hope you are feeling well! Much love!

Anonymous said...

The resturant looks so fun! I'm so glad things are going so well. My mouth did water at the invite picture!!! YUM!!! Hope all contunues to go well! By the way ever since you said you had an ultrasound on the 25th I have been checking your blog like 52 times - so I'm hoping that the info will be revealed soon!

Rachel said...

You are right- the restaurant looks GREAT! Too bad you are so far away or we would be there! I'm glad things are going so well for you. When do you find out what you are having? Take care!

Johnson said...

Ya for the Tornows!!! I am so happy for you Jen and that things are turning out even better than expected. I can't imagine the hard work and stress that goes into opening your own store!! I hope the success continues and keep us udated!!!

Anonymous said...

I FINALLY remembered to read your blog. The restaurant looks beautiful; of course, Diane had already told me how "cool" it is. I like the bright colors and, especially, the VAN!! And Cecily out in front of the restaurant - perhaps she ought to become a permanent resident out there. Then everyone would stop to say how cute she is - and then EAT!! I'm glad everything is as far along as it is - what a summer this has been for you! XOxo

Megan B said...

Congrats! The restaurant looks AWESOME!!!! And how can you not be successful? Costa Vida is the BEST!!!!

Megan B said...

I'm so glad he's loving it so much! That is SOOooo important! Kudos to all of you! GREAT JOB!

Tiffany said...

Your restaurant is so nice!!! That is awesome you did so well already! But we already knew you would do that well. :) You guys are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Sounds great. I might have to take a trip to come and see. :)

Anonymous said...

That is great news. We run the first Costa Vida that was actually build on the Coast up here in Maine. Anything we can do to help out send us a line. We also are planning for the second annual World Burrito Eating Championships in September 2008. We recieved international press on radio, tv and in print. Our revenue was up 40% over last year because of this one event.

Karin said...

It looks awesome! I'm glad you guys are having so much fun- hopefully the stress is less now and you can ENJOY it! Yummmmmmm

Layne & Kellie said...

Wow! It looks fabulous. I've never been to a Costa Vida. I guess I was thinking it would like another place (ya know?). But this totally looks so modern and hip. I love it!! Are those flat screens that show menu? Love the whole look. And a BIG CONGRATS on such a blow out on the opening day! You guys do a fabulous job on ANYTHING you guys do. Congrats!!

Annie said...

Now all I want is a pork salad! Hown long of a drive is from Houston to Farmington? I'm going to go map it! :)

Jen said...

WAY TO GO! I am so excited for you. I am also so impressed! And I know you are not giving yourself enough credit! I am sure you are a HUGE help to the restaurant. (Your a very hands on girl!) Great job! Congrats, again.