Saturday, May 12, 2007

Where did all this crap come from?


Derrick and I spent all morning packing up our house and trying to move as much as we could to the garage so that we will be prepared for moving day, which is this coming Friday. I have no idea how we have managed to accumulate so much stuff! It's ridiculous! The worst part about it is that I cannot get myself to get rid of things that I know I will absolutely NEVER need or use! I will just continue seeing it and making the decision to keep it every single time we move. I went through a box today that I actually remember packing up in my old bedroom at my mom's house before I got married. Apparently, an autographed poster of Duncan Sheik is not something you keep taped to your wall when you are married.
Anyway, once early afternoon came by, Derrick and I were both "done" with the packing thing. We took our present load of boxes to the garage and decided that our workout equipment looked pretty good on the front porch and could stay there until we got the energy and desire to move it later! Poor Derrick. Reading the above, you would think that I did some heavy lifting today. But I actually had the conversation with Derrick that I hadn't had to lift more than 10 pounds since I met him. He's one of those naturally strong men who is also a gentleman, and I have REALLY taken advantage of that over the years! If something even looks awkward or heavy, my voice immediately turns to sugar as I call my sweetie over to help me. Man, how did I ever fool this guy into marrying ME?
Cecily got to go play at Grandma Thomas' tonight as Derrick and I had a date night. We went to see some of the Parade of Homes, then out to Bombay House for dinner. We weren't all that impressed with the homes we have seen so far this year. The St. George Parade, which we went to in February, was much more fun. A lot of new, fun ideas. But we still had a good time. We rarely go out together without Cec, so it was a nice little escape. Not that she cared--She has such a good time with other people, I'm surprised she will even come home with us! We are so lucky to have such a good-natured little girl. I am scared to see what our next kid will be like!

4 comments:

Jen said...

I hate moving! When Rich and I first got married we could fit everything we owned in the back of the Jetta. Those were the days! Its nice to get out isn't it? I miss having date night with Rich. It is hard to always come up with babysitters! I'm glad you were able to get away. Good luck with the move!

Dottie Stay said...

I amm sad you are leaving. cecily is adorable. What a great kid. They boys hate it when we leave. I told Deron that means we have to leave them more so they can get used to it. :) Love those date nights. I hate packing too. I keep everything too. I am not so much a pack rat, I just hate throwing away things that I think may be sentimental. I loved the poster comment! So funny.

Dottie Stay said...

ps.. You look freakin' fantastic in your fam pic!!!! You all do!!

Megan said...

Hi Jen-
Your little girl is too cute! Good luck in New Mexico. Your family picture is great!